Thursday, April 18, 2013

What the Government Wants You To Believe About Common Core

I will begin at the beginning of Common Core and CSCOPE, because although most of you have heard of it, some have not, and this website is created with that in mind.  I will check the comments daily, and I will respond to you in a timely manner.  As a mom and a wife, some days are very challenging, so I will do the best I can.  The information is coming out faster than I can report on it, so there will be frequent updates.  The key is that I need you to check back often, because although some of the updates may not directly affect you, some of them may very well affect you the next day or week.  Keep checking, and I encourage you to do your own research as well.  I do know that time is precious so for those of you who can't spend time researching, I will do my best to keep you informed.  Now, lets get on with it.  I will start at the beginning...which in this case is the government.  I will explain their stand, give some of their comments, and ideas. This is not in support of them, I am simply giving you the facts of what is happening and what is going on at the government level.  It is up to you to decide what to think after you have digested all of this, and I can guarantee you, this is a long process.  There is so much confusion, even on the part of the people who understand what is going on.  But we must maintain a dialogue...keep up the conversation with our neighbors and friends, and help educate each other. Education has been and always will be key. 


Common Core and CSCOPE are a supposed educational advancement system coming from the government, to help make America's students succeed and outperform other nations.  Part of what they are trying to push forth is the fact that there would be benchmarks for every state, so that if a student moves from one state to another, the student wouldn't be far behind or too far ahead. While that part sounds awesome to me as a military wife and mother, who has to frequently enroll her children around the United States as my husband gets reassigned, it comes at a cost.  As with everything, there are pro's and con's... It is up to you to decide what is best for your family. 

As a parent of two young boys, this sounds fabulous right?  We all want the best for our children.  But as the old saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.  So that is where my research began.  I am just a mom seeking the truth, because I want the best for all of our children.  I am a special needs mom who would like a break, but instead keep plugging along, wishing that common core and cscope ARE in our best interest.  But are they?  It isn't my place to make the call for you.


I encourage you to read this short article about Common Core.  It is what the governments message is.  It will be what you hear from the schools if asked...it will be the knowledge given to the public to promote such a wonderful step forward in the progress of American education.

What is Common Core?

The source is from About.com so it is a pretty unbiased explanation of what Common Core (which I will refer to sometimes as CC because of the obvious reason...it's shorter :)

This next link comes from what was previously known as the National Middle School Association, but is now known as the Association for Middle Level Education.  It shows a lot of the pros that the government and parents and teachers who are for this program promote.  It does also show some of the drawbacks as well, but since I am trying to focus on the reasoning on the government for having such a program I decided to post this even though there are some negatives. 

Magazine of Middle Level Education Article on Common Core

That's all for now...I will try to keep my posts pretty short, or at least not excessively long and focus on one or a minimal number of issues.  I had heard, and am still hearing, that all but 3 states had adopted Common Core Standards at least in some areas of their teaching. Living in Texas I was relieved and my relief was huge...at least for the moment I didn't believe I had to worry about it.  But to my horror, I found out that Common Core was used in my 3rd graders math and history lessons. It is everywhere folks...that is why this blog is so important to me.  As a mother, nothing is more precious to me than my children, and secondary to that is the education they receive.  Our country depends on our children being taught the truth about the foundation of our government and the ability to reason and think for themselves...not be told what to think, what to say, and what to do on command.  It is important that you understand why and how the government is trying to convince the public that this Common Core Curriculum is good for our children.  But it is us...the parents who must decide what is best...what is right...and what is good for the welfare of our children. You will be hearing a lot from the government and from the media about CC, so it is important that you understand why they want this type of education.  The posts that will follow will explain how CC education affects our children, the education system, and the future of our country.   

No comments:

Post a Comment